Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is glad to host within the International School of Energy Research the
ESAS Summer School on Materials and Applications on Superconductivity
29 July – 2 August, 2013 at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Physics and introduction to superconductivity, Prof. René Flükiger, Geneva
- YBCO materials, Dr. Bernd Holzapfel, IFW, Dresden
- LTS materials, Dr. Klaus Schlenga, Bruker Energy & Supercon Technologies, Hanau
- AC losses, Dr. Fedor Gömöry, Slovak Academy of Science, Bratislava
- Simulation and modelling, Dr. Francesco Grilli, KIT, Karlsruhe
- Fault current limiters, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Mathias Noe, KIT, Karlsruhe
- Superconducting current leads, Dr. Reinhard Heller, KIT Karlsruhe
- Superconducting cables, Dr. Mark Stemmle, Nexans, Hannover
- Superconducting rotating machines, Dr. Wolfgang Nick, Siemens, Erlangen
- Superconducting transformer & SMES, Dr. Pascal Tixador, Grenoble INP
- Superconducting electronics, Prof. Michael Siegel, KIT, Karlsruhe
- Cryogenic electrical insulation, Stefan Fink, KIT Karlsruhe
- Cryogenics, Dr. Holger Neumann, KIT, Karlsruhe
- Electro-mechanical properties of superconductors, Dr. Klaus Weiss, KIT, Karlsruhe
This summer school will provide basic lectures on superconducting physics and important phenomena, state-of-the-art material development and a broad range of superconducting applications. Visits to the superconducting laboratories at the Institute of Technical Physics will be included, with opportunities to interact with the professional staff and graduate students.
Confirmed list of topics and lecturers
Other topics with lecturers not yet confirmed
- BSCCO material,
- MgB2 material,
- Superconducting magnets.
All lectures are intended to give an overview about the state-of-the-art as well as specific details of their topic. Due to the small number of participants an intensive interaction with lecturers is encouraged.
Who should attend?
This summer school will be of interest for Students (Bachelor, Diploma, Master, Phd), for Post-Docs, for engineers and scientists, and for those who want to learn more about the fascination of superconductivity.
We have already made preliminary group reservations at the acora hotel (www.acora.de) in Karlsruhe. Please only make the reservation via email karlsruhe or fax: +49 721 848551 and mention KIT Summer School with your reservation and make your reservation before July 1st. After this date the indicated rooms and rates can not be guaranteed. The rate is single 68€ (double approx. 89€) per room and night, breakfast is included. ∂acora de
In addition the youth hostel Karlsruhe might be suitable for you (http://jugendherberge-karlsruhe.de), approx. 24€ per bed and night (2-6 bed rooms).
A&O Hotel and Hostel
Furthermore, the A&O Hotel and Hostel might be suitable for you as well. The rate of the hostel is approx. 15€ per bed and night (4-6 bed rooms only), the rate of the hotel is single 53€, double 30€ per person and night without breakfast (+6€ per day with breakfast). (http://www.aohostels.com/de/karlsruhe/)
Fees and scholarships
There is a fee of 90 € for academic participants and 190 € for industry participants for this summer school. Travel and accommodation cost has to be taken by the participant. Participation includes a copy of all lectures, transport between hotel and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, beverages, lunch and dinner as indicated in the final program.
Lessons start on Monday 29th of July at about 10 o’clock in the morning and will end on Friday 2nd of August at about 15 o’clock.
Registrations are open up to a number of 20 participants and will be given on a first come first serve basis. We recommend early registration to be sure to have your place booked. For registration go to the following link registration ESAS Summer School 2013.
Please do your registration only through
Miss Nadja Kästle
Phone: +49 (0)721 608 28094
Fax: +49 (0)721 608 22849
Email: nadja kaestle∂kit edu
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (www.kit.edu)
ESAS - The European Society on Applied Superconductivity (www.esas.org)
ivSupra - Industrieverband Supraleitung e.V. (www.ivsupra.de)
IEEE Council on Superconductivity (http://www.ewh.ieee.org/tc/csc/ieeeconstitution.html)